Gordon County was created on February 13, 1850 by an act of the General Assembly. The new county was formed from portions of Cass (later renamed Bartow) and Floyd counties. All lands that would become Gordon County were originally occupied by the Cherokee Indians and was the home of New Echota, capital of the Cherokee Nation.
Gordon County's original 1850 boundaries were changed many times between 1852 and 1877, during which time the legislature transferred portions of Cass (Bartow), Floyd, Murray, Pickens, and Walker counties to Gordon County, while transferring land from Gordon to Floyd and Murray counties.
Georgia's 94th county was named for William Washington Gordon (1796-1842), the first Georgian to graduate from West Point and first president of the Central of Georgia Railroad.
From the 1854 US Gazetteer, page 433......
GORDON, a new county in the NW part of Georgia is traversed by the Oostenaula river, a branch of the Coosa, and also drained by Pine Log and other creeks. The surface is diversified by hills and valleys. The soil in general rests on a stratum of blue limestone, and is highly productive. The county abounds in springs of good water. Indian corn, oats, potatoes, cotton, and grass are the staples. The climate is favorable to peaches and grapes. In 1850, this county produced 285,360 bushels of corn; 20,586 of oats; 31,016 of sweet potatoes; and 184 bales of cotton. There were 300 pupils attending public schools. It is intersected by the Western and Atlantic railroad. It was formed out of parts of Cass and Floyd counties in 1849-50, and named in honor of William W. Gordon, Esq., first president of the Central railroad. The Capital city is Calhoun. Population, 5984, of whom 5156 were free, and 828, slaves.